.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, November 29, 2015

 

Red Mountain

by Pete Dye
#1 Par 4



 #2 Par 3


 #3 Par 4, HCP #1


 #4 Par 3


 #5 Par 5



 #6 par 3

 #7 par 4


 #8 par 4


 #9 par 5


 #10 par 5, HCP #2



 #11 Par 3


 Railroad ties everywhere . . . this looks like the only time I stopped and took a picture expressly at a railroad tie feature. To compare to the bunkers at Laughlin Ranch, where they seemed to be melting in the landscape might not seem fair, but then again, if one has a certain amount of skepticism about the efficacy of railroad ties on a golf course hole that is not a water hole, those traps in Laughlin weren't so bad, at least where there was still enough sand to get a wedge underneath the ball.
 #12 Par 4


 #13 Par 4

 #14 Par 4

 #15 Par 3

 #16 Par 4


 #17 Par 5

 #18 Par 4

 6 7s on the front nine . . . back 9 only marginally better in that my last two drives actually looked like golf shots and my irons actually had *some* trajectory . . . so maybe my opinion is not valuable on this course . . . but I professionally claim that my score (good or bad) will not affect my journalistic integrity in assigning a rating on our Scottsdale Scale . . . aka, the Kokopelli Scale . . . I think Mr Science would agree with me that it ranks a strong 2 . . . one of the most interesting Pete Dye courses I've ever played on . . . it has many elevation changes . . . one might object that the course seems a little "tricked up" by layering a Pete Dye Punitive Layout over a rather mountainous layout or that the desire to plunge the broken-in-anger haft of one's putter thru the architect's thorax can only be soothed by a cool beverage in the 19th Hole, which is not free  . . . if you see how I mean . . . 8^) . . . .


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?