.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, March 26, 2007

 

Safeway International Day 4


Mr Science, Our Intrepid Reporter, concludes his coverage:

I forgot to tell you about Taylore Karle, the 16-year-old amateur from Scottsdale. She was 5 over par on Friday night, with 4 holes to go and the cut line at +3. Saturday morning in the cold rain she birdied 15, bogied 16 (toughest hole on the course), and birdied 17 and 18 to make the cut. Watch out.

I had Johanna Head and Sarah Lynn Sargent today, two delightful young ladies. I should say that Vicki, Jackie, and Christa are delightful as well, and consummate professionals, although no longer in the "cute" category. Sarah is a rookie, playing in her 4th LPGA tournament. Her father was caddying for her. He stood behind her to help line up her shots, but on the 13th tee he was in the blue box while she was hitting, and she had to do it herself. She busted one about 260 down the middle, a pretty normal drive for her, and when he caught up I told him he'd better show up on the tee from now on, or she'll figure out she doesn't need him anymore. There was lots of joking about his pay, too. He was having a great time, but with the limp and the leg brace, and struggling with the big bag, I think she'll probably have to find other help for most of her tournaments.


Dave had the first group off the tee this morning, including defending champion Julie Inkster. I haven't talked to him about it yet. How about filling us all in, Dave?

Lorena Ochoa again proved that no lead is safe. You may recall this tournament two years ago, she had a 4 shot lead on Annika with 3 to play, and lost in a playoff. Today, she was 4 ahead of Suzann Pettersen on the first tee. Suzann birdied 2, 3, 4, and 5, and after Lorena bogied 6 Suzann was leading by 1. Suzann was in the group ahead of Lorena, and when she birdied 14 she was 2 up with 4 to go. And then Lorena birdied 14, 15, 17 and 18 to win by 2. Jeanie and I watched both of them play 14, and saw the rest of Lorena's birdies. Jeong Jang was playing with Lorena, and having a tough day, but she also birdied 14, 17, and 18 to shoot even par 72. We were on TV at the end, on the right side of the 18th fairway with about 30,000 other people. It wasn't a close-up shot, so you have to look carefully to see us.


I'm still digesting my experience . . . I noticed my listeners' eyes glazing over at work today as I told my story, so it needs work . . .

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?